What causes drain collapses and how can this be avoided?
Below is a typical diagram of what happens when a defect in a pipe is left in a
state of disrepair.
Small crack appears due to accidental overloading or ground movement.
Crack gets wider due to movement and effluent leaks into soil.
Soil wash out increases with time.
Due to lack of soil support crack grows into a fracture as it cannot take load above
Pipe loses its circular shape.
Pipe collapses due to sudden loading that caves soil inwards.
Who is responsible for the repairs?
Drain lining is a fantastic method of repairing and sealing a pipe without the cost
and inconvenience of excavation works.
But what happens if your pipe only has a small section damaged. What then?
At JS Drainage our vehicles are fully equipped with localised pipe repair kits which
allows us to carry out simple pipe repairs while we are on site.
Localised Pipe Repairs work on the same principle as the relining system. The big
difference is that the localised repair patch sleeve can be pushed to the damaged
section of the pipe with rods (see diagram). Once the sleeve is in place over the
damaged section of the drain it is then inflated to a set pressure while the Patch
repair cures in place.
Benefits of relining and patch relining
- Quickly installed without excavation causing minimal disruption
- Forms a structural and durable new pipe within the old
- Bridges and seals gaps holes and gaps
- Resistant to chemical attack
- Resistant to corrosion
- Forms to any shape of pipe
- Improves flow characteristics
- Substantial cost saving over conventional reconstruction methods
- Environmentally friendly
Pipes suitable for patch repairs
- Pitch fibre
- Cracked or fractured pipes
- Pipes leaking at specific points or connections
- Bridging and sealing open or displaced joints
- Covering changes in pipe diameter e.g 150mm – 100mm
Localised pipe repairs can be carried out in varying sizes to cover pipes from 100mm
We are able to supply a solution to all your relining needs and our advisers will
be more than happy to discuss your Relining requirements.